Hotmail was one of the first webmail services on the Internet. It was launched on July 4, 1996. In 1997, Microsoft acquired Hotmail for about $400 million. Hotmail was then rebranded to MSN Hotmail then Windows Live Hotmail. It was replaced by Microsoft’s Outlook.com in 2013. If you visit www.hotmail.com, you will be redirected to the main sign-in page for all Microsoft accounts. To get started with a Hotmail email, you will need to create a Microsoft Account. A Microsoft Account gives you access to Microsoft products such as Hotmail/Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office, MSN, Store, Xbox Live, etc.
Transition to Outlook.com
Outlook.com was first introduced in 2012 with a beta version. Existing Hotmail customers could freely upgrade to the preview version of Outlook.com and downgrade back. Outlook.com graduated preview stage on 18 February 2013. The upgrade was deployed on April 3, 2013. The users kept their existing Hotmail accounts and received the option of having an @outlook.com email address. By May 2013, Outlook.com had about 400 million active users.
Hotmail Sign Up
Step 1: Go to www.hotmail.com.
Step 2: Click Create account.
Step 3: Type your username.
Step 4: Choose your preferred mail ending (either @hotmail.com or @outlook.com) by clicking on the small down arrow on the right of the username box and click Next.
Step 5: Type your password and click Next.
Step 6: Fill out your information including your country, your birthdate and click Next.
Step 7: Type your phone number and click Send code.
Step 8: Check your mobile phone for an activation key and type it in the respective box. Click Next.
You can read this article for a more comprehensive guide on how to register a Hotmail account: Hotmail Sign Up.
Step 1: Go to https://login.live.com.
Step 2: Enter your email address or your phone number and click Next.
Step 3: Enter your password and click Sign in.
If you don’t know how to log into your Hotmail account on Android and iOS, you can read this article: Hotmail Sign In.
www.Hotmail.com: Hotmail Login Features
There are many features provided by Hotmail and some of them are mentioned below.
- The service of Hotmail is totally free it does not require you to deposit any charges in the Microsoft account and they do not have any account maintenance charges and their service is totally free of cost.
- The service provided by Hotmail is not limited to any timetable it is there for you around the clock 24/7.
- A person can use all the different portals offered by Microsoft with the same Hotmail account and a person can chat through email, have video calls or chat through Skype, shop online from store or save their personal data such photos, videos, personal documents in the one drive all at the same time with the same Hotmail sign up account.
- You don’t have to login to each portal that Microsoft offers for the first time you only have to login to your browser for once and after that you will be automatically logged into each of the portal offered by the Microsoft group.
- Hotmail offers you with the synchronization facility in order to keep track of change of data in all the devices that you are being used at the same time with the same Hotmail account your personal data is synchronized and saved online in your Hotmail account.
- Hotmail provides you with its calendar services and you can add you events and save them online and you can also add reminder to those events. Your day to day schedule can also be regulated through your Hotmail account.
- Hotmail allows you to save your personal contacts online and each and every contact that you will save in your phone will be saved in your online account and you don’t have to worry about losing your contacts ever again because now they are safe forever.
- Hotmail.com provides you to back up your data with one drive and save it online and you can also save the data from different applications that you are using so that if an application malfunctions then you can have your data saved and backed up ready to be used once the application is functional again and you don’t have to worry about losing your important information ever again.
The features provided by Hotmail are so thorough that it covers all the basic needs of our daily life.
By signup on Hotmail/Outlook.com, you can access multiple products from Microsoft just by your single Hotmail account. Services and features include the following:
Active View: Allowing user to have a direct interaction within the email service with other content and functions.
Feature also allows other platform which exists as partners such as YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn etc to be accessed within email.
Calendar: Based on Ajax Technology ,this feature allows user to import other calendar entries through with easy mobility to view,add and also drag and drop entries into Calendar.
People: Serves as an online Address book, allowing users to view and share their contact’s updated public information and other profiles.
Task: Allows users to effectively execute task management.
Skype: Allows user to enjoy Skype video calls within outlook.com account without actually having a desktop client of Skype installed.
Sweep: Based on sender’s information you can customize delete and redirect incoming Emails into specific folder for a better management and user experience.
Quick views: A feature designed to filter your Emails by their status as read or unread,spam,attachments based and etc. For ease of access emails get categorized under quick view by default.
Aliases: From 2013 updates Outlook users can create 10 different unique and additional IDs which serve as aliases to one Primary account.
Office Online: One of the most essential feature offered through outlook account is the integration of Office service pack tools to be accessed and edited in real time within the email account.
In addition, users can send and receive up to 25gb of Office document through One Drive uploads.
Redesigning from 2017 and Onward: The outlook account went through a series of updates in their design which allowed users to have a better and faster inbox and Emoji options.